Melissa Rae Lanier is a native Houstonian and has lived in the Kingwood/Porter area for over 40 years. She began her legal career in November 2006 as one of the partners of a local law practice in Humble, Texas. In 2001, she graduated with honors with her BA degree from the University of Houston, Clearlake and in May 2006 she graduated magna cum laude from Thurgood Marshall School of Law.
Melissa focuses her practice in the area of Bankruptcy Law. Her practice includes representation for both individuals and businesses. She is currently a member of the State Bar of Texas, the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas, the Houston Bar Association – Bankruptcy Divisions, NE Harris County Bar Association, American Business Women’s Association and the Federation of Houston Professional Women.
Melissa volunteers her time to serve on the boards and committees of various non-profit associations and organizations. She is currently serving on the Executive Board for The Greater Cleveland Chamber of Commerce and the Breeze Into Summer Committee for the New Caney ISD Education Foundation.
Areas of Practice
- Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, Texas 2006 – Doctor of Jurisprudence
- University of Houston, Clearlake, Texas 2001 – Bachelor of Arts
- Kingwood College, Kingwood, Texas 1995 – Associate of Arts Degree
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas 2006 – Present
- Houston Bar Association- Bankruptcy Law Section 2007 – Present
- Northeast Harris County Bar Association, 2006- Present (Board Member 2009 – 2017)
- New Caney ISD Education Foundation, Breeze Into Summer 2017 Chair
- Cleveland Chamber of Commerce Executive Board Member 2014- Present
- American Business Women’s Association 2007 – Present
- Federation of Houston Professional Women 2007 – Present
- Houston Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
Honors and Awards
- 2011 American Business Women’s Association, Woman of the Year
- 2011 and 2013 American Business Women’s Association, Top Ten Candidate
- 2010 Federation of Houston Professional Women, Woman of Excellence
Past Legal Employment Positions
- Lanier & Pagel, LLP, Attorney at Law 2006 – 2015
- Currin, Wuest, Mielke, Paul & Knapp, PLLC – 2015-2017
- Weighing Your Options…An Article on Bankruptcy. Dockline Magazine 2015